Friday, February 25, 2011

Why we have regenerating health

I duck behind cover. The sound whizzing of a bullet flying over my head. Peaking over to my left I make out five enemies, but I can't be sure if there's more of them. I glance over at the ammo counter on my hud (heads up display), I’ve exhausted almost all of my ammo and I only have 14 health points left. If I could only get over to that new weapon behind the enemies I think. I decide to make a run for it. I die, of course.

 And I was so close.

We’ve all been in a situation where a room with enemies seems near impossible, only because we had the misfortune of entering the room with low heath. And with no heath packs in sight, the room becomes considerably harder. It even becomes impossible sometimes.

 Because nothing heals bullet wounds to the face like running over a first-aid kit

That is where regenerating health comes in. With regenerating health game developers can program games according to how much health they know the player has. Not only that, but it helps make the game play smoother. Nothing breaks a games immersion like having to start a level over, because there weren’t enough health packs lying around.  

 AGAIN!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment